There are a lot of things most people don’t know about book self-publishing.
For example, did you know…
- $1.25 billion worth of self-published books are sold each year
- Authors, traditionally published, earn under 15% of the retail price
- Self-published authors keep up to 70% of sales
For anyone in the industry, this stuff is common knowledge.
But to those who haven’t lived “a day in the life” in book self-publishing, some of these might come as a shock.
For example, here’s the weirdest thing most people don’t know about book publishing:
As first-time authors, more self-published earn $25k than traditionally published
According to WordsRated, an independent international research data group:
Of authors who have published their first book in the last 10 years:
- 1,200 traditionally published authors have earned $25,000+ a year
- 1,600 self-published authors have earned $25,000+ a year
Consider this: The global self-publishing market is set to grow at 17% per year (and 1% for publishing in general). So this is a moving train to get on.
But another sobering stat to know: 90% of self-published books sell less than 100 copies.