“The most important thing is to enjoy your life — to be happy — it’s all that matters.”
It’s a regular day.
All you have is time.
Where could you find happiness today?
It turns out that happiness is everywhere.
In the humblest of things.
In small bursts.
In quiet moments.
Finding happiness doesn’t have to take much of your time.
It takes your attention.
How about spending some of your free time today to try out a few of these simple ideas?
See how you feel at sunset.
1. Make something happen
There’s joy in getting something started.
- Plant a seedling to watch it grow.
- Order the IKEA bookcase you know will help you declutter.
- Put your unique stamp on page one of your new journal.
- Book into a meditation or public speaking course.
- Choose the domain name for your blog.
2. Throw the love boomerang
Staying connected with others sweetens your day.
- Email an old friend and make it worth him opening.
- Be the first to smile at a passerby.
- Create auto-reminders so you’ll never forget a birthday.
- Surprise a friend with a gift sent out of the blue.
- Volunteer or donate to a new charity.
3. Rediscover your senses
Come alive through your windows into the world.
- Walk barefoot in the grass for an hour.
- Treat yourself to a beautiful magazine.
- Get messy with paint or start on a coloring book.
- Delight yourself with fragrant flowers or essential oils.
- Jog unplugged and listen to the life around you.
4. Mix it up
Do things differently. Novelty stimulates your brain.
- Sample an unfamiliar podcast or radio station.
- Don that crazy hat, at least at home.
- Stop by a new store and greet the owner.
- Practice saying “hello” in two local languages.
- Plan a day trip to a country art gallery.
5. Linger at lunch
Enjoy being nourished, with time on your hands.
- Bake your favorite pie from scratch with a friend.
- Take 10 minutes to savor the taste of one piece of fruit.
- Establish a weekly phone-free dinner to catch up with the family.
- Chew each mouthful more to squeeze out the goodness.
- Relish dark chocolate. Science confirms it makes you happy.
6. Find the magic in moving
Feel every muscle sing as you use it again.
- Dance wildly by yourself. Or join 349 million viewers of the Happy song!
- Enjoy your favorite exercise (for even 10 minutes). Happiness and happiness like each other’s company, according to research.
- Call a buddy to set up a daily walk.
- Find a 30 minute online Pilates or yoga class.
- Run with your dog, or borrow someone else’s.
7. Zoom out
Realize you’re part of the natural world’s bigger picture.
- Let the sun and birds wake you rather than your alarm.
- Stand for 10 minutes with the morning light on your face.
- Marvel at the NASA Image of the Day.
- Switch off your devices with the sunset.
- Go somewhere to watch the moon and stars clearly.
Prepare to be surprised!
Because you’re curious about finding happiness, it’ll catch up with you everywhere.
Sometimes it’s just a matter of slowing down. Or listening more.
And being alert to what’s happening around you.
Feeling grateful when happiness surprises you.
You’ve got this.
What’ll be your first step in seeking out happiness today?